Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Employment is on my mind today.
mine and my friends


Last night a friend, a single father, phoned to tell me his new job of nearly three months has laid him off just before the Christmas Holiday - when the entire staff takes vacation - after working just enough weeks no longer be eligible for any unemployment.


Last week, another friend who'd been unemployed many many months found a job - in Alpharetta. She lives east of L5P, but any job is good to have with full health benefits,etc.


This morning, I made it to an 8 a.m. interview south of the airport (I had to be in Buckhead by 9 a.m.) only to be blown off by my interviewer, who wouldn't be available until "oh, sometime after 8:30 or 8:35".


... why can't we all just be gainfully employed someplace that'll be able to pay our rent or mortgages and less than 90 minutes on the road every day? With health insurance?


Can't we all just stay gainfully employed?


Can't we all have jobs that keep us out of shelters and hospitals?

No comments: