Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Blogger... has changed since I was last here.
I need to keep up with things a bit better.

It's late and I'm wondering why I'm having such a difficult time putting myself to bed tonight. Could be the heat - not unbearable but a bit moistening in my little place. I refuse to crank up the AC after spending most of my days freezing in the pre-press area, the coldest part of the building where I work. A small inconvenience, but I enjoy the feel of a hot car at the end of the day when I finally get to thaw out. Still, I really enjoy working there and feel there is a lot of potential for me with this company.

The new term for those full-time, long-term employed is now "Perma-Temps" according to NPR and MicroSoft. Gone are the days apparently of anyone below management level being anything other than an independent contractor. And when I look around me at the people I know and their positions as well as my own, I know this is true. I tried to relate this story to Monster but he (who is self-employed in his own business and doesn't need a job anyway) was refusing to accept the new reality of the workplace.

Ripe is this weekend. Not cheap and I need to buy my ticket in advance. It'll be worth it though - last year was great fun and I think this year may be even better.

No comments: