Search This Blog

Monday, February 01, 2010

cassoulet and 401k

Went to the monthly Potluck dinner on Saturday night. This month was at the GothFather's cottage in Conyers. At first, I wanted to make mushroom bourguignon but that was what I made last time I brought food to his house so I decided to change things this time and try a new cassoulet recipe. I made Jamie Oliver's Quick Cassoulet, which I found online. I had not tried his recipes before because Oliver has a reputation for being a bit bland. The cassoulet was good and, while not the star of the dinner, it was reasonably well received. The mess that it made of my oven was extraordinary. I really should have taken a photo of the splattered oven the next morning because I will try to avoid making such a mess in the future.

Sunday, I met friends for brunch and Monster had the oven cleaned when I got home. For that, I am quite grateful because I was not looking forward to filling my evening with oven cleaning. I had put off and then forgotten to start the oven cleaning procedure in the morning because the oven cleaner was, for reasons unknown to me, in the shed with Monster's bits and bobs. I texted him to please locate the oven cleaner in the shed and put it in the kitchen while I was at brunch. He then made the next logical step and started cleaning the oven himself and when I got home, that task was finished. Last night's dinner was leftover cassoulet and baguette.

My uncle phoned with a job opening he heard of at an office near me for a position digitally retouching and processing photos for school portraits. Sounds like a very easy job that is hopefully quite close to home. Question is whether I can get an interview and if they will offer me a full time position. The pay is a fraction of what I've made. It pays less than anything I've made hourly in the last 15 years, but I'll take anything I can get at this point if it will provide regular hours, health insurance, and the usual benefits. The lack of money might also be more than made up by the prospect of less time spent driving and less wear on my car than working farther from home and full employee benefits, including 401k and paid vacations. But it really must be a full time gig for me to be able to take it. If I can get a foot in the door. Fingers crossed.

No comments: