Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

"ensure" for cats

Doris can't really handle solid food any more but I found a Whiskas product called CatMilk. While Sandra and Chaz were visiting us last night, Sandra looked at the label and ingredients and assured me the ingredients were, essentially, nearly the same as Ensure brand shakes - so I think I've found a very good temporary solution to her inability to eat. She can get the CatMilk down easily and it is designed for easy digestion in cats. Keeping her fed will probably increase the time she has left her. I plan to vary the liquid diet by trying to get her to take chicken broth and other smooth soups. Sitting on my counter waiting to be tried are cans of chicken broth, beef consomme, and cream of chicken soup. I will also try liquifying her catfood in the blender but I don't know how successful that will be. She is already rejecting even the softest canned foods.

She has created a new schedule for herself now. She spends all day sleeping on the sofa and refuses to wake up or move from her perch until her normal evening feeding time at 6pm. She hops down just long enough to have the CatMilk brought to her, laps it all up, and then goes back to the sofa. Around 9pm, she goes to John's office and curls up there most of the night. In the early morning hours, she goes downstairs to use the litter box and stays downstairs until we get up in the morning, at which point she comes up for a dish of liquid food. Then she returns to the sofa for the rest of the day until around 6pm.

No comments: