Search This Blog

Monday, May 08, 2006

Estrogen

Five of us had met for a polite southern ladies tea at the Faded Rose. I think it is the most feminine place I've seen in recent years in that traditional, southern, rather mature style. The weather didn't cooperate with me earlier. There was a downpour just minutes earlier but the clouds parted just as everyone made it there. Lots of tea. Several pots of various infusions were consumed. Scones/biscuits served with preserves, lemon curd and clotted cream.

Mrs. Cloun, being the supporting friend that she is, helped me look for the elusive perfect dress to wear to my cousin's wedding in June. I'm hard to please this week. Everything seemed like it was the wrong color, too casual for an evening wedding, or too matronly - too many gathers, too fluffy, etc. etc. But I think I have a lot better idea now for what I might wear. I could wear my black suit, but this would be my one good excuse this year to buy myself something wonderful and feminine, despite the fact that I'm not a girlie skirt-wearing type. I would love something simple, classic, slender in jewel colors like red or purple. Or polka dots - there are so many nice black & white polka dot dresses that were either too flimsy at the top, too low in the back or too fluffy and bunched up (whatever that's called).

I will continue the search another day.

No comments: