Search This Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Wedding of the century


My cousin Dan and Joy had their wedding yesterday. Huge event with family and friends.

Kinda funny. The officiant was a very articulate, highly educated minister who spoke with a great deal of charm. Just when I thought we might not get the usual fire and brimstone sermon on the mount that is typical of Southern Baptist weddings, he included a very serious bit of warning having to do with marriage being a covenant with God rather than a legal contract - that included how it would be better to be drawn and quartered than to break one's vows.

Great reception with the caterer presenting a spread that included lots of seafood - sushi, sashimi, oysters on the halfshell, and the obligatory shrimp coctail. Of course, there were many more options but that was where I was centered. While others enjoyed the whole tenderloin roast and chicken, I was feasting on fruits of the sea. Later followed by a very good glass of Sterling Cab. The event ended with fireworks over the lake at the country club. I would love to see a photo of what I saw then - Dan and Joy in silhouette taking in the fireworks, held in eachothers arms. One thing I had not seen before was a table with a man hand-rolling cigars for guests. Even my brother was puffing on a wedding cigar, watching the fireworks. Almost like a Bergman film.

I got to see and speak with relatives and friends from near and far. So many people that we unfortunately only see at weddings and funerals and the occassional christening. I prefer seeing everyone at weddings, when there are no inhibitions or sorrow and everyone is, by nature of the event, positive and future-minded. When we were ready to leave, my mother wasn't waiting for me near the door as I expected her to be. I found her dancing with my cousin Heather's husband in front of the band, which is huge because this was the first time she'd been able to dance in years - all thanks to her new bionic knees. There was a great moment when Joy's brother got out in the center of the floor dancing just like Michael Jackson to Billie Jean - legend has it that he learned that trick when he was around 14 years old and has done it by request ever since. It was great fun watching that and then he pulled this sister, the bride, onto the floor to dance with him. Too funny.

And now I wish my cousins a perfect honeymoon with no sunburn or other maladies to occur. The worrier in me immediately sees peril in two very blonde individuals on a beach.

No comments: