Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

No More Archer Farms potato chips

This is kinda icky but I find it fascinating.

I seem to have developed a food allergy. Something in Archer Farms Salt & Pepper potato chips causes canker sores on my tongue. Odd but true.

The experiment was this week. For the last two weeks I had to go through the slow-healing process of sores on my tongue that I at first attributed to burns. I do a lot of personal injury to myself with burning-hot food and scratchy tortilla chips. But somewhere in the back of my head I remembered greatly enjoying a bag of those chips over the course of the preceding week. I did not eat any potato chips during the healing, because it seemed to irritate things in my mouth worse than anything else. All healed up, I had a handful of chips (maybe two or three) on Saturday morning and by Sunday, I had what seemed like the begining of a sore on my tongue. Didn't eat any chips Sunday and by Monday, my mouth felt fine again. Last night, there was just small amount of chips left in a bag, that I scarfed down before putting the empty bag in the trash before throwing it out. This morning, my tongue is once again raw on the tip. These sores don't always occur on the same place, but they are nearly always on my tongue, rather than my gums, inner cheeks, etc.

Now I'd give anything to know what the exact irritant is in the chips, so I can avoid it in other foods and snack fear-free.

No comments: