Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2014

maybe moving to HighPoint NC

Looks like there is a possibility that we might be moving to High Point, North Carolina.

I am still unemployed and just make enough on rent from my condo to squeak by on rent here and my condo fees. This week, MonsterMustDie's employer has hinted at planning an entire shut down of the location in Atlanta in favor of cheaper show room facility in NC near their new North American production facility. At first, he thought that they would keep a sales office open in Atlanta that he could work out of in a customer service and support job.

We are too old to negotiate on anything work-related. If he loses this job, there will be no other employer willing to take him on at his age. We're both too old to be hired by anyone and too young and poor to retire so if they are willing to keep him employed in exchange for relocating, that is what we will have to do.
It's not a done deal yet - we don't know if he can keep his job or if he absolutely must work from North Carolina, but it's looking that way this week.

As for myself, I don't foresee any changes in my employment but I think NC would be a much less competitive environment for graphic design. However, the economy there is more depressed than here. Thus the company, Buzzi, is already being heralded as a fantastic gain by the Governor and Mayor. The city of High Point, I am told, is unbelievably excited about their manufacturing facility and showroom opening there.

No comments: