Search This Blog

Monday, February 23, 2015

lost week

Between cold temps, icey driveways, icey streets and lack of work or money, I spent most of the week after my niece's wedding indoors doing nothing. The weekend that was supposed to be filled with working on the house was instead spent with one grumpy old Dutchman sitting at his computer twittering on facebook and pinterest.  The house stayed stagnant. I still have no full bathroom or large mirror for dressing in this house. Valentines day was spent with MonsterMustDie watching TV or staying on facebook. That's another week of my life I'll never get back.

This week, I had one day of temp work and one day of volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. I had two calls from companies out of town asking if I would drive 30 minutes or more to work for $10 an hour at industrial sites. One was at a place that required me to regularly lift 50 lbs or "just a case of paper" on a regular basis. I have tried to raise my base salary requirements for something not so pathetic when I am required to drive more than 30 minutes and do physical labor that I am too small to do. I am not an athlete. I will do anything within my physical capacity even if it is outside my job description with no worries. If I am adequately compensated, I will drive any reasonable distance to work anywhere in this area. Otherwise, I actually lose money on fuel and wear on my car at the end of the day. Every job and location has a negotiable payscale.

It looks like I'll be doing the one-day volunteer and one-day work schedule for a while but I could always be wrong and pleasantly surprised by an opportunity close to home doing what I do best.

Some progress on the house was made this weekend. Yesterday was dedicated to painting one wall of the den.

den_TV

Also, as a make-up for last weekend, MonsterMustDie bought flowers - something he never does - and made a nice arrangement for the mantel in the living room, which has an overall Japanese modern theme.

No comments: