Search This Blog

Friday, October 06, 2017

Adding to my burdens

The ache and sting in my left arm that started in September is still with me and has kinda changed to more of a sting than a bruised feeling. Not always there but springs up predictably when I move my arm or have to hold something with my left hand. Always some small malady going on. At least my back is better now.

A stray cat came up to us one night last week and introduced himself by jumping into my lap while we were sitting around the fire talking to Karen and Bob. He was extremely friendly, emaciated, and coughing with a labored breathing. He came back up to me every night afterwards and was obviously sleeping in the dried leaves at the end of our back yard. I took him into a veterinary clinic that was recommended to me. He tested FIV positive and had a respiratory infection. Rather than have him euthanized immediately, I had his other vaccinations updated and had the vet give him a long-acting antibiotic shot. Now, he's living on the back porch here until I can figure out what to do with him. I'm feeding him as much as I can to put some flesh on him and the cough is already lessened. His appetite is much better now too. He still longs to be outside and we really can't keep him in the back room permanently. We have to find another home for him, euthanize him, or put him back outdoors despite the vet telling me that I couldn't let him be outside again. I would LOVE to find him a new home as a solitary pet for someone or in a FIV+ cat rescue. Of course, all shelters of that sort that I've found are not taking in any new animals. Normal animal shelters don't take FIV+ animals - they are put down immediately, which is what I probably should have done, but he is such a sweet cat I thought I should try to do what I could to give him a chance at a longer life.

MonsterMustDie has been fighting a cold and what might be an intestinal virus or mild case of food poisoning this week. He's been completely depleted at the end of every day and short tempered, both from the physical stresses he is enduring now and the mental stress of this cat I put on the back porch. Every thing that was on the porch as far as laundry hampers, chair covers, etc. is now in the house to make room for the cat and to keep that area easier to clean. 


No comments: