Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving + Surgery

I went in for breast surgery on Tuesday. MonsterMustDie took the day off work to transport me to the Surgery Center and back home. I took a shower and washed my hair just before going, knowing I won't be able to was my hair for several days afterward just because I have to keep the surgical area dry and I can't lift my arms.
Everything went fine. I was kinda put off by the casual sanitary conditions there. The nurse, Janey, tore off tape for my IV and laid it on the footrest of the chair I was in until she was ready to use it. The arms of the chair in the prep room were sticky. I don't want to consider myself OCD about cleanliness - far from it, probably - but this was a medical facility.
Oh, well...
They sent me home with a Spanks-style tube top over my chest and a small ice pack over my left breast. I also had to purchase electronic leg compression devices that I wore home and will have to wear to sleep in for the next 9 - 10 days.

Wednesday morning before work, I managed to give myself a shallow sponge bath in the tub with my hair tied up and about three layers of plasic wrap around my chest to try to keep it dry. I'm planning to wear my hair tied back all week in a pony tail while I'm at work. I wore an old athletic bra-top, that was probably inadequate support, to work under my turtleneck sweater. It seemed like it would work okay but by the end of the work-day I was experiencing some discomfort. I ended up trading it in for a regular bra to sleep in last night. This morning, I woke up with immediate liquid bowel movements that I hope will cease as soon as everything is empty. I took an Immodium and am hoping for the best result because this is the worse day for GI troubles.

Today is Thanksgiving and I'm planning to make a mushroom tart with some beautiful wild mushrooms I got at the Farmers Market. We are invited to Karen and Bob's house in Greensboro for Thanksgiving. We're also bringing roasted vegetables and braised greens as a last minute thing. MonsterMustDie did not believe the tart and a small batch of sweet white turnips was enough.

No comments: