Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2023

twisting around in circles

I miss having a real job using the skills I spent years learning, which are useless now. It's been two years since I had my last freelance temp gig and now I'm paying too much to keep software on hand that I do not have a use for other than personal entertainment. I'm losing what I know about a dead industry.

Jump to today. Out of the blue, I got two phone calls from what I truly believe is another work scam. A woman with an accent too thick to understand phoned about a print production job in Winston-Salem. I don't think there is any company that fits the description of what she said this job is about there. After agreeing that, yes, I was interested in any work I could get at any price that used my skills, I got a couple of emails and another phone call & voice mail from a man with an equally heavy accent that went on about something about work for a temp gig at low pay doing something related to printing. Again, I could hardly make out what he was saying. I'll play along until it gets too weird.
MonsterMustDie has a cousin who wants me to make some banner ads for him in a "New York Times" style that I'll have to investigate before I get back to him on it. He's asking how much advertising work I'm doing now. Well, I'm not doing anything now but I can make something look good even if I can't guarantee I can send people to his site. This would be a free favor, anyway. I'll do it but I'm dreading it because I expect him to be over-critical of anything I do. Not what I need when my self esteem is at an all-time low.
I can't touch any of this until Wednesday anyway, since I work closing shift at the dress shop tomorrow. MonsterMustDie works in the morning so he won't be available to help me deal with any of this. All of these things will have to wait a day for me to get back to them. I'll do what I have time for before going into the shop.

No comments: