Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2001

One cultural quirk of anyone who grew up in Smyrna, Georgia is that you can't experience anything without placing some negative criticism on it. This is true of every thing - every meal from every restaurant, every film seen, every article of clothing, the service you get at the drycleaners or from waiters or cashiers. And it's beyond personal. It is truly a characteristic of that entire section of Cobb County. I used to think it was just something severely screwed up about my family but I've since met other people from Smyrna who act precisely the same way. The funny thing is, nowhere else does this mental phenomenon happen as commonly - everyone I know is appalled when they first meet someone from Smyrna and it finally dawns upon them that that someone is not just having a bad day. Not every day can be a bad day. When you're from Smyrna, you get so used to the attitude that it becomes invisible to you. I've been living in the city long enough to recognize it in people now and I've gotten pretty good a pegging people I meet from there, but they don't offend me like they do others. Are Smyrna people thick-skinned or just prudish and bitchy? If I was better with the English language, this could become a good comedic monologue. I am not that clever, however. So, discuss amongst yourselves.
Of course what all this points out to me is the troubling question: Am I that irritating to be around? Am I insensitive to others? How do I rise above my own cultural upbringing?

No comments: