Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sparky

As it turns out, there is more money to pour into my condo. When the electrician came to look at the fuse box we want to replace, Monster had him look at the connections in the ceiling where we're putting in new fixtures. Checking the wire, they both saw inappropriate sparks. After going up into the attic crawl space, where is was the discovered that the housings were rusted out and the wires in the ceiling have a lot of the insulation burned off. Our electrician said it's amazing we haven't had a fire yet in the building. Some of this might just be due to the age of the building. The condos were original apartments built in 1960. It might also be due to the roof leaks that I have battled with the condominium association for years to fix. Now I'm having all of the wiring above my unit replaced. I can't do anything about the rest of the building but I can at least try to ensure that if there is a fire, it will not start at my space. All changes and repairs that go beyond the interior walls of each unit are supposed to be the associations' responsibility, so I'm probably over-stepping my limits by having everything above my unit replaced but I know from experience that the condominium owners association will do nothing for the building as a whole. The new owners just don't know, and thus, don't care. The old owners have their units paid for and are only sitting on them in the hope that the building will be snatched up by developers some day to be replaced by a high-rise. They've been waiting for that winning offer on the building for decades.

New refridgerator = $400.00
Hardwood Floor repair and refinishing = 800.00
Bathroom pipe snapped in two = 750.00
Electrical work = 500.00

Monster paid for the painting and cleaning materials and supplies.

No comments: