Search This Blog

Sunday, January 04, 2009

notes on a foggy weekend

Started yesterday by taking the cat for an early morning vet appointment. She's started her coughing again and I wanted to have an update on her asthma treatment. We're now trying pills on her. She took the first dose yesterday morning as soon as we got in from the vet and gave us no problem. Greenies Pill Pockets are easy to use.

Saturday was incredibly foggy and the city was dead and empty all day long. After my usual morning errands, which included a trip to the green market for some good weekend eats, I hung around the house until I had cabin fever (it doesn't take much to send me clawing at the walls) and meandered down Peachtree. When I got to Lenox Mall, I found out where the entire metro Atlanta population was. It was crowded like Christmas Eve. I told myself I'd do one drive around the lot and, if I didn't see a space, I'd go on. And behold! There was a regular spot open immediately in front of Macy's. I took that as as sign the the Universe wanted me to go shopping and went in. The Mall Starbucks had a wrap-around line so I had to delay my afternoon caffeine fix. Everything is on sale but most of the Winter goods are already gone and they are already beginning to stock for Spring and Summer now. This was not a day I felt like shopping for sundresses and sandals. Still, I found a few thingies to pick up and even at treat for Monster to bring home.

On my way back to The Ranch, I went through a Starbucks drive-thru and ordered a "London Fog" tea latte, which just happened to be served to me by a girl with a British accent named Rose. How perfect was that?

Got back, put dinner in the oven, and got ready to watch "Kronos" on the DVD. Checked on the cat, who was near-comatose on her heated bed. She was so groggy I had trouble waking her up. Once I got her to move enough to prove she was still alive, I took her upstairs to hold her in my lap - just to keep an eye on her - while she slept off the new drugs. Really could not even get her to open her eyes completely and she was limp all over. Monster thinks we should just trust the vet's judgement and give a full pill in the morning but I think the vet also depends on our own assessment of her.

This morning we gave Ms. Doris Cat only half a pill and, if we must make it a whole dose a day for the first week, I prefer to give her the second half in the evening, if at all. Really - she was that far down. Her breathing was so shallow I had to check that she was still warm and rigor mortis had not set in.

No comments: