Search This Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Holiday 2010

Briefly:
Spent Christmas eve with friends I love dearly. It was a group dinner out at Harmony Vegetarian Chinese restaurant, followed by a long night hanging out in what can best be described as an Irish wake for a dog. They had to to put down the second of their two old dogs. They lost the first one a few months ago. I brought the traditional Crowe Family holiday snacks to share after dinner. Stayed late drinking crying and talking. It was a hard night but I was glad I was there.

Christmas morning, we had coffee, opened our gifts to each other and a few that we had not gotten into yet, and then had a decadent breakfast of bacon and eggs that I cooked in the cast iron skillet. In the afternoon, we drove to Kennesaw in the snow to spend the day with my family at my mother's house. As much as she likes having a family dinner at home on the holidays, it is becoming very difficult for my mother to clean, decorate, and prepare a meal for everyone. She was running hours behind schedule and had already injured herself twice (one bad fall and one cut on the had) before we got there. I don't know how much longer she can try to do this to have a Chrismas holiday every year. Thanksgiving is kinda long gone already but it makes her happy to have this day as her own. One of the most difficult things is that she refuses any help with things - always has, so I know better than to try - and so I always have to stand back and let things happen however they're going to play out. It would make me insane if John was not there with me for it. A crowning moment of perpetual dysfunction in my family relationships.

Today, we started out to visit Mr. Monster's mother in Alabama but kept driving into progressively heavy snow fall and decided to abort the trip for today. He did not want to face the drive back later in the day. He said he didn't mind driving on snow or ice as much as having too many other idiot drivers he'd have to look out for. We'll try again on Tuesday or Wednesday to visit his mom. This was sending me into serious cabin fever and loneliness because nothing we had planned for today was happening. Fortunately, Fun Lisa came to El Rancho and rescued me from a growing state of ennui. Tonight, I'm drinking hot cider and he's watching his new Avatar Blueray DVD, camped out on the couch.

Both of us are without work til January 3rd, with the possible exception of a few hours for either of us to work on Thursday. The rest of the week is open, weather permitting, for whatever comes up.


UPDATE:
We visited MonsterMustDie's mother on Tuesday and spent the day in Alabama. She was having an especially good day and the visit was pleasant. We took her out to eat. He went to the bank with her to manage some things for her. The weather was sunny and warmer than it had been for several days.

No comments: