Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Downsizing

So MonsterMustDie comes in tonight telling me that i have to get a job. As if I just haven't been trying. He then announces that his job is too hard at his age and how he'd quit but can't because I am still unemployed. Like he'd be able to find a job after age 55. Like I can find a new job after age 50. I reminded him that he is very very lucky to have the job he's got. He's just down because there are no year-end bonuses. I would never count on that anyway.

First, I suggest that maybe I could move back into my condo, which would be A LOT less expensive for me. My tenant's lease is up in March and I could certainly move back in then if she does not want to stay there. Then, after quitting his job, he can move in with his mother, who desperately needs his help now that she has alzheimers disease.

He did not like that option.

I then suggested something I do every ten years when things go sour. We cut our cost of living to the bare minimum. I've had to do this at age 30, age 40, and now at age 50 it seems like a good idea to do again. We can certainly live without cable. We only need internet access - that's all. He has his cell phone privately and I have my own cell phone account. He eats lunch out every day - he should be taking lunch from home. I do not eat lunch out - I brown bag snacks or eat lunch at home. We don't go out much but we can certainly stop going out altogether unless it's free or we're working to make money at something. We could also live somewhere much less expensive. We could also get one or two room mates if we could move some things out of the downstairs.
I stand by my belief that we should live less expensively - or I should live alone again. The difference between being broke and unemployed at age 30 and broke and unemployed at age 50 is that now, there is no good job just waiting around the corner. There is no great career yet to be discovered. After age 40+, you'd better be in a good job or looking at being self-employed. Problem is I've never done well as a freelancer. I am someone who does better working at a company because I lack a personality for sales and it really takes that to be your own boss. I lack the perkiness to go out there and promote myself. He might be able to do that - because he has owned his own successful business before - but I can't keep up with that lifestyle.
This was an unacceptable option too.

We still don't know what to do, but I did suggest that holiday season is the worst time to think about budgets and saving money and he agreed with that. We will re-visit this after New Years Day.

No comments: