Search This Blog

Friday, December 06, 2013

Work - searching

After returning from the Thanksgiving holiday trip, the focus of my week was set to be a morning job interview on Wednesday. The interview came through a temp agency I've worked for in the past. The name of the company sounded familiar and, searching my calendar, it was a company I've interviewed at independently a year ago in November. Tuesday afternoon, the temp company sent me a message saying the interview had been cancelled, stating the company no longer would have a need in that position - which sounded odd since it was temporarily filling in for someone who would be on maternity leave. I was feeling sad and defeated because that was the only thing I had scheduled for the entire week. No sooner than that was marked off my calendar, another company phoned with a new job interview for a full time position in a very convenient location doing work quite similar to what I'd done before at my "fun" job with Debbie & Burton years ago. Then, a different Temp company contacted me and set up an interview for me on Thursday morning. That saved the week for me. Wednesday's interview, which should have been the easiest, turned out to be strangely tense. I was interviewed by the owner of the company, who seemed to be at a loss of words. She kept waiting for someone else to join us for the interview. "Does she know I'm here?" "Oh yes, she knows." was the only talk of it. More pauses while she waited came and, while I should have just gone on auto-pilot and kinda directed the interview myself, the obvious discomfort she was in made me ill at ease as well. It ended up being a very awkward meeting, which was a shame. By contrast, Thursday's interview was very relaxed with a young woman who knew exactly what to talk about and was surprisingly familiar with all aspects of the marketing-design-production process and the history of the work. The location is not as convenient, but the company felt good and the commute was still reasonable. I made very good time getting there despite being stuck behind a wide-load and it's entourage the entire time I was on I-285. It appears to be an easy commute.

No comments: