Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2015

doing the best I can

It seems like this week if filled with anger at every experience job hunting. One person kept me on the phone for several angst-filled calls asking if I was willing to relocate and if I could be immediately available for a job and how far would I commute, etc. before finally telling me the position was only a 5-month hourly (part time) temporary job located over 2-hours (map quest) away. She knew I was in High Point, looking for full-time work. She asked me all kinds of anxiety-producing questions before giving me any information on a job that I clearly was not in the market for.

Neither of the two interviews from last week have gotten back to me and I am trying to follow up with them. Experience tells me that If I did not hear back from them in a couple of days, they chose someone else. Either one would have been a good job to have.

Yesterday, I went to an orientation for the only job available near me. It is a minimum wage gig catering for a golf tournament. 10-hour days (maybe longer), outdoors in a tent, starting at 5:00 a.m. on Wednesday and running through Sunday.


Meanwhile, my mother is in the hospital again this week undergoing various procedures on her heart and kidneys. She does not know what day she will be released to go home. I would drive down to see her if I could be certain she would still be in the hospital when I got there. Once she's home, I don't know if she'd be willing to let me visit. When she's home, she doesn't want anyone to see her place and she mostly sleeps, not answering the door. I don't have a key to her place so there is really no point in trying to make the trip without advanced planning.

No comments: