Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2015

Yesterday's Parties

I woke up thinking about my long suffering grandmother, Elizabeth Crowe, today. She taught me what basic domestic things and manners I know. She also often told me family stories that gave me insight into some of the culture of my clan. One time, sitting at her dining table at lunch, she said "You might be surprised (and I was) but we (she and my grandfather, Horace Crowe) used to have fun. We would have dance parties at the house. There was a juke box where he worked and he would borrow it for the night and bring it to the house. We took the rugs out of the living room and moved the furniture out for a dance floor." 
There are no records of these fun events in photos or other written descriptions that I know of but it makes me happy to picture my grandparents having fun with friends at home while children were in their rooms, hopefully sleeping but probably spying on adults sometimes too.

No comments: