Search This Blog

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Going to the Potluck

Just finished making a pot of Thai green curry, based loosely on the recipe I got from a friend. It is a recipe with little or no specific amounts but a list of general guidelines on how she makes her curry, which everyone loves. She makes curry the same way I make gazpacho or guacamole. You just figure out what the base is and eyeball or taste until it seems right. No two batches are alike. This is a day when I walk a couple of blocks down and up to the next neighborhood near us, which is a lot more multi-generational (younger) and hipper (still working) than the neighborhood we live in. I always have a great time at the annual potluck, whether I go there alone or with my husband joining me. I always walk, crockpot in arms, because it's so close. I wish I knew more of our neighbors. People in High Point keep to themselves and mind their own business. This one street is different because it has a lot of multigenerational households including the children and grandchildren of original residents. It has in tiny community of people who have known each other since childhood and that sense of community spreads to some of the newer families on their block as well. With a lot of younger people who have children, the parents will inevitably know each other through their children. A few blocks over in our neighborhood, the only people who know each other are the dog-walkers, and they don't get too personal or care to do anything outside their home. It's amazing how different things can be, so near each other.

No comments: