Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2004

a long day



Last night, around 9PM, Mom phoned and said she was going with me and Dad to the funeral. She gave me a wake up call this morning at 7AM. I still managed to roll over and sleep another hour before getting up. Still made it to the house in good time to leave.


We showed up a bit early and ate lunch at the old family restaurant just up the street from the funeral home. It was an unchanged 60s style southern restaurant. Game trophies all over the walls and ceiling. Very clean, but the tables, cabinets and fixtures were obviously the same ones that had been there for the last 30 or 40 years. Very worn and with that patina from years of use. Mom and I got the vegetable plate. Dad had the smoked sausage dinner with lemon rice pudding for desert.


We went into the funeral home, signed the book for John's family, and looked at the family scrapbooks laid beside the casket. Then we waited on the divan in the hall for John and his mother to arrive. The funeral was conducted by the pastor of the Stephens family southern baptist church. A bit long winded and very fundamentalist. Dad nodded off twice during the sermon. Fortunately, when my father falls asleep, his head goes straight forward he's silent enough to make you think he's in prayer or meditation. I saw other nodding head that sorta went off to the side. It was a military funeral and graveside service. The most touching part to me was the folding of the flag. Mom said she was the most moved by hearing taps played. It is amazing how much my mother can talk to absolute strangers. As we got into the car and headed back, she seemed to know the complete history of the family and their friends. Dad did really well on the trip. I was quite happy to see how well he was for traveling. Once we got back to Smyrna, we stopped and went out to eat again for dinner before finally returning to their house. I changed into jeans and visited a while longer with them before heading home.


Talked to John a while on the phone when I got in. Made plans for his arrival tomorrow. Took a benedryl after being around the pups so long at my parents house. And now, with any luck, sleep will come soon.

No comments: