Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

unfit weather for a weremonkey

This is normally the time of year when, after New Years Day, I do not go out until spring - usually some time in April.
Unless it is something necessary - like work or grocery shopping - or an event I am expected at, no one sees me in the flesh for a few cold months. Now I'm just trying to motivate myself to go out to look for inspiration, to personally deliver resumes, etc. on a day when home holds no interest to me either.

For visiting companies to pass out my resume, I need to psyche myself into feeling attractive, which is hard with cold temperatures leaving me so uncomfortable, crazy static-charged fine hair that refuses to be managed, and itchy winter skin. I feel like I am not selling myself as well as I could be.

Maybe a trip to the mall and a salon would help that... if I could talk myself into it.

I'm also trying to cut back on my habit of buying things online that I am ultimately dissatisfied with and actually shop for things in the touchy, feely, meaty, physical realm where I can try things on or flip through pages of actual books before I waste too much on shipping back and forth. This is harder with clothes than it seems, because it is sooo easy to search for exactly what I have an interest in and see a nice photo of how it is supposed to fit on a model but too often the item I buy is a lot flimsier or larger or lower cut (constantly having to be pulled up) than I think it will be. Online and catalog shopping also leads to a lot of “shopping blackouts” of the sort that I lose track of how much I have order. Really not a smart thing for the unemployed. Buying things is a pick-me-up. The women of my family traditionally have just one hobby - shopping - and I am groomed for this from the roots up.

No comments: