Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Wedding Design Thoughts

I got to look at the not ready for primetime secondary building where we might be able to have the reception. Not too bad. There is overhead lighting. This is a relief because I thought it was such an empty shell that I'd have to figure out a safe way to light from above and below. It is definitely an industrial, even steampunk, space. That would work fine with an industrial modern theme.

No plumbing and no wall outlets so I can see why it does not meet code for occupancy but certainly solid enough. There is one small spot that is a possible tripping hazard on the floor about the size of one large sheet of plywood that we would have to find a way to keep people away from, lest they trip or stub their toes.

I have been visualizing this project as much as I can by myself. I had this idea today: Wouldn't it be great to fill that patch with a huge scale model of a safety cone - bright orange and shiny, that would more than cover the footprint of the area - kinda a la Jeff Koons?



How could I/we/you build that? It would have to be very lightweight materials to make it easy to move in and out of the space. Anyone need an art project? That would be a great thing to put on the wedding registry... large format artwork.

Another thought came to me today about the cake. Rather than the common roses and ribbons, what about a mid-century modern Eames-style cake. Or a creature from the black lagoon, holding the bride as a cake topper?

No comments: