Search This Blog

Friday, November 26, 2010

post Thanksgiving with family

We went to my brother's house this afternoon at 4:30 p.m. for an early dinner with family. My nephew had to leave early for a game he was playing in, hence the early meal. Mother brought an electric skillet full of fried okra. Andy cooked and served us roast turkey that was tender and succulent, made to Alton Brown's specifications, along with dressing, corn bread, greens, mac'n'cheese, mashed potatoes with pancetta, sweet potatoe souffle, and marinated tomatoes. Desert was peach and raspberry crumble (my choice), pumpkin pie, and apple pie.

Rachael's boyfriend Bobby (a keeper, IMHO) joined us for the meal and customary music played by my brother afterwards. My favorite selections were Charlie Brown theme music. Lots of gossip about people I do not know or hardly know. Thankfully, little or no conversation on sports, which I have no knowledge or interest in.

I tried to encourage Brenda to continue practicing and learning violin, an instrument she got about a year ago. She told me that she has been learning how to play it from lessons on her computer.

One thing that came up in conversation was that a good gift for my mother might the a Garmon navigation device. Mother says she just wants someone to assemble and show her how to use her steam vac for the holidays. Brenda could really use a copy of Acrobat Pro software for her PC. Andy could use more kitchen tools. Gifts for Rachael and Adam will require more creativity since they did not mention anything in particular they liked or needed.

No comments: