Search This Blog

Saturday, November 06, 2010

to serve

Sometimes I look at the new Christianity and I can only think WTF?!

I grew up in a church that served the community around it. There were morning and evening services to accommodate everyone's schedule. There were community dinners mid-week. The church van went to nearby retirement homes to bring elderly people who could not drive to services, if they wanted to go. They had a FREE daycare during worship services and other events. They had a small library that had all sorts of books in it. It was still a fairly small church by today's standards.

Today, it seems like everyone goes to giant mega-churches where the ministers make 6-figure salaries and there are no community services at all. Daycare is not free. Membership is not free. I can only wonder why anyone bothers be be involved in groups like that. I suppose it's still cheaper than joining a country club is you're only there to network, but the romantic in me still thinks that is not the purpose of a church or the definition of community.

No comments: