Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Soul in my mailbox

I've gotten three (3) packages from friends this week. Must be something in the air. Just when I'm feeling my lowest, friends have sent me love in a box.

The first was a couple of very hard-to-come-by jars of Korean honey tea from our friends and former neighbors Rick and Amanda. I am now supplied with hot tea (or hot toddies) for the rest of this winter.

Then, I got a cookbook of Vietnamese and Asian-fusion food from Ferne. The book is a hard cover with beautiful photography that looks like a good “Cook The Book” project - if I can just find ingredients or suitable substitutes here. Both of these gifts are reminding me of living in the culturally diverse neighborhood of el Rancho de WereMonster. I'm kinda in, to quote Mr. Nick, Whitey McWhiteville now. There are some interesting places in nearby cities but this place is like a WASP retirement home.

The latest, biggest box came today. It was a home-made care package from Gillian and Meg, filled with home-made treats (like Gilli’s famous holiday bourbon balls) and craft supplies and puzzles to try to keep my brain from going to mush here, along with a few other girlie treats - which is something I really needed in this dry place.


No comments: