Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

eye delicate flower

Friday evening, I met up with some of the Grateful Gluttons to test the floating lotus lights for the lantern parade the next night. I had to get some guidance from Joy on how to find the Old Fourth Ward Park. It not exactly on any maps yet. The giant lotus blossom torches that Chantelle made are beautiful. It took some figuring out how to best get them into and out of the water but it was all done quickly and safely with lines, weights, and tossing rocks.

Afterwards, we went to the Euclid Avenue Yacht Club to hang out for a bit. Got to witness the chase that ensued after someone's iPhone was snatched at the bar. The phone snatching had become a very regular thing in Little Five Points. Guys will walk up and grab it out of your hands and run off. It was one of the first very cold nights of the season and the EAYC was especially smokey. I made it home, checked email, and had a little cup of hot sake before calling it a night.

Saturday morning, I woke up with a headache and itchy eyes. My eyes were red and felt like there was a foreign object in them all morning. I put in eyedrops, showered, and got on with what was going to be an easy day but by the afternoon, I had what looked like a large blister in the white of my left eye. I have never had anything like that before. I found the business card of the doctor I was referred to when I was at an Urgent Care clinic months ago and went in to have my eyes looked at. The doctor said it was most likely an allergic reaction. He said my eyes are extremely irritated and inflamed. Then he prescribed two types of drops to use several times during the day for a week. I guess my smoke sensitivity went from bad to awful.
No more nights at the EAYC for me.

Then, as if the medical visit had not sucked up enough unexpected time out of my day, I spent the next two hours going from pharmacy to pharmacy to find the medicated eye drops he prescribed before asking a pharmacist to phone the office and see if another medication would do. They changed the prescription over the phone to something in stock there and I put in my first dose before heading out immediately, at that point, to the lantern parade site in the Old Fourth Ward park. I still managed to arrive before the parade started. The lotus lanterns were already in the water. Photographed the parade. Met up with Kim & Harris and Bridget & Nelson. Said hello to Mr Epsten, who was playing violin in the Opa Orcherstra. Then I did what I could to help with breakdown and clean up before heading over to Chez Ayer for Cam & Joy's home-made chili, chicken soup from Thomas, sweet cornbread with honey butter and other healing comfort foods. My headache finally began to lessen as I was eating hot chili. I stayed until everyone went outside to hang out by the fire - I did not want to be around smoke again this week. Joy sent a large container of chili home with me. I don't see them as much as I'd like to.

Lantern-Parade_65 by weremonkey
Lantern-Parade_65, a photo by weremonkey on Flickr.

Lantern Parade at Old Fourth Ward Park


Lantern-Parade_09 by weremonkey
Lantern-Parade_09, a photo by weremonkey on Flickr.


Lantern-Parade_46 by weremonkey
Lantern-Parade_46, a photo by weremonkey on Flickr.

Lantern-Parade_65 by weremonkey
Lantern-Parade_65, a photo by weremonkey on Flickr.

Lantern Parade at Old Fourth Ward Park

No comments: