Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

maybe

I had an interview yesterday morning with Debbie and Burton, two people I used to work for in the '90's who I adore. We ended up talking and going over things until after noon. We still reached no agreement on whether I would work there. The main issue is taxes. The job I had years ago with them was my fun job but I was an independent contractor the entire time. Every year, despite my father the CPA making arrangements for me to pay taxes quarterly, I would have to pay more and more taxes. The last straw working there was when I got stuck with a tax bill of several thousand dollars and I had to get a loan from my father to pay taxes. These days, my father is long gone and I have no accountant or daddy to bail me out so I can never work like that again. The problem is, they don't feel they can afford to take me in as an official employee or pay what I would normally charge for independent contractor work. I phoned one of the temp agencies I sometimes work for and they said they could do payrolling for them on me. That seems like the most agreeable thing to do for all of us, if they accept that. I am hoping we can work something out. 

There are no other job offerings or work coming in this week. With the cold being what it is and me being physically broken this week, I am not too sad about the lack of movie extra work. In better physical conditions, the minimum wage extras work is actually more advantageous than the freelance work offer - I take home a little less pay but all taxes are taken care of and I get my forms all nice and organized at the end of the year, and most sets feed extras three warm meals a day. 

No comments: