Search This Blog

Monday, January 06, 2014

knowing my limits


It's official. I am chickening out of working in the cold tomorrow. As much as I need work, I don't want to regret anything as much as I am sure I will regret being in a cold warehouse all day, under-dressed, mostly on my feet, for minimum wage.  I worked several days in a row in slightly warmer weather at the same job and my feet, legs, and hips ached for days afterwards. I had a lingering cough from the dust in the place for weeks that's just now easing.

I remember when I worked like that in my 30's on a film shoot that I was never paid for. I spoke to someone working on the crew for that day long afterwards and he told me the entire shoot had to be re-done because none of the footage was good enough to be used. Everyone's breath was foggy on a scene where they were supposed to be warm and the background crowd refused to stay in wardrobe and brought in heavy coats & gloves that were at their feet. They shot that day anyway because of their budget not including another day on set. They still had to reshoot regardless on a better day. I suffered for nothing at that job, unappreciated, and the memory is still there. It was not a fun adventure or a necessary step in my career.

No comments: