Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

night falls

Ah, yes. It's been another long day of nothing. 
The high point of the day was going to a neighborhood friend's house to help her give her cat injections of fluids to treat kidney failure. That was the only time I left the house during the day. I try to avoid going out just because it inevitably involves spending money and I am not working or making money these days, so I try to avoid temptation. However, that also means that I am avoiding stimulation of any kind, mental or physical, and increasing my atrophy. The devil and the deep blue sea. I am very glad to be helpful to her and their very sweet old calico cat. It also teaches me a bit about the whole procedure that so many of my friends have to do for their elderly pets.


A lot of things here have come to a halt this week because of “ClusterFlake 2014” that cause the entire Atlanta area to shut down completely for a couple of days. This is not the week to accomplish much when it comes to work or job hunting. Some people slept in their cars, stranded on the highway in traffic jams caused by everyone rushing to go home at once when snow started falling. Others were iced in at home. My brother spent the night sleeping in a Chick-fil-A after refusing to stay overnight at his office and trying to make it home to Powder Springs from Newnan, Georgia.


I logged onto and registered with a few more job boards as well this week, so now the phone is ringing all day long with telemarketers, an inevitable part of having my information out there on employment sites, trying to sell me classes and other services. Healthcare is quite popular to study these days and that is the first thing all of them try to get me to sign up for classes in. When they hear I am a Graphic Designer with a useless degree in Visual Communications, they try to sell me courses in Beauty and Fashion, which I inform them will not help me to find a job to even pay back the tuition for the classes. I also have not interest in paying for monthly job placement services that they can not guarantee will get me any interviews or employment. If a so-called headhunter wants to collect a commission on jobs they actually find for me and place me in, I'll be glad to pay them for their services, but $100 a month to be listed on their website is ludicrous. Then again, the phone calls do let me talk to another human being during the day and practice my conversational skills. I've kinda started getting chatty with the telemarketers. Hey, let's do lunch some time.


No comments: